Despite the simplicity of heat and cold therapies, the two (in correct combination) can help relieve low back pain, muscle strains, and even arthritis.
Heat Therapy Benefits:
- Applying heat to your tissues increases your circulation or blood flow and causes your connective tissue to become more flexible.
- Helps reduce joint stiffness, pain and muscle spasms
- Helps with bringing down inflammation and congestion in your tissues.
Cold Therapy Benefits:
- Vasoconstriction of your blood vessels causes a reduction in the blood volume to the site of your injury, resulting in reduced swelling.
- Vasoconstriction also decrease the likelihood that your cells will die due to lack of oxygen